Thursday, April 17, 2008

just a thought

I feel like I have been living in a bubble, and perhaps I was. This maybe the case, but through the research I have been doing for both the Blood Diamonds project and now the Materials project presented in the Metalsmithing class, I am being opened up to countless social, economical and environmental problems and issues that I previously had no idea about. If I had no ideas about some of these issues I wonder how many others were also in the dark.

With out knowing and understanding information and situations outside our lives how can change come about. The first step needs to be discovering this knowledge. Perhaps more effort should be put on getting the information out into the world, into the consumers hands so they can take an active part to end or improves some of these issues.

That’s not to say that someone will no longer buy diamonds or gold after reading about blood diamonds, or the damages to the earth caused my mining, but it will make them more aware of situations going on outside of their world. And perhaps at some level affect the way they think about the things they purchase. Even making someone stop and think about what they are doing is a step in the right direction.

With all the things going on in the world, all the problems and the social injustice that are taking place, it is hard to see a solution. Uncovering all this information about people who have been affected by materials that I use in the studio on a daily basis is hard for me to swallow. I wont stop making objects with these materials, but I will be more conscious of the materials I use from now on, where they come from and the affect they have on the environment.

I have to believe that over all people are good and that things will change. Other wise we can give up where we stand and let things remain the same, live in our bubble of comfort and be glad we were born on the privileged side of the spectrum.

2 comments:

.:wiifey:. said...

"I feel like I have been living in a bubble, and perhaps I was."

When I found about how much blood was being shen for diamond I felt the same way.

"The first step needs to be discovering this knowledge."

I agree so much with this statment. I just wonder how much diamond sales would drop if everyone knew the truth about the diamond trade.

If you would like I bloged about theis same topic. Check it out at http://realpriceofdiamonds.blogspot.com/

Jangrrrrl said...

Good thoughts, Jo. Take the social design course! There is SO much good being done in the world but like Blood Diamonds and now mining- how would we know and how do we find out? The social design course starts by reading reputable news media consistently- this is only way people cn know what is happening. We have to make it a priority. And, again, how can we make anything relevant as designers, artists and makers if we are clueless about what is going on in the world, including new materials?